Unlock Your Mind and Body

Here is my online diary of all my Alexander Technique learnings and discoveries as a student and teacher. Learn the benefits of the Alexander Technique and the pitfalls to avoid when learning it yourself...

Monday, February 20, 2006

Another Learning Experience!

After my easy relaxing and enjoyable weekend I managed to throw some of that out the window today by causing some lower back ache for myself this morning and challenging myself with it this evening. Just another opportunity to experience applying this Alexander thinking stuff! I got up this morning feeling bright and alert after my great weekend, this usually has the effect on me of getting me to take action so I decided to sew up a hole in my trousers that I had been staring at for the last few months (in reality it is probably longer than that). As we would probably all say, it is a simple activity, shouldn't have taken too long (but then you don't know my sewing!).

I think the best thing to say is I didn't think about what I was doing, I just wanted to do it and get it done. While I was doing it I could feel my lower back complaining and I knew I was being a bit of an idiot. I did stop myself and think about it but to be honest all I wanted to do was to get my sewing done so I could go to work and by the end (about 20 minutes) it was pretty sore. I went to work and forgot about it. During the day I was so busy I didn't really have time to pay attention to my back but when I went into London this evening, did it catch up with me!

I spent the evening shopping with a friend, then we went to dinner and afterwards to the theatre. It was a lovely evening but everytime I moved around I could feel my lower back complaining about it. I would say that was just about 6 hours of discomfort. At the end of the play (Honour with Diana Rigg, if you want to know) I finally decided that enough was enough and I had to starting applying some of my Alexander Technique thinking in a constructive way so I could get myself out of the mess I was in. I basically started thinking about what I needed to do to move in the simplest terms I possibly could and applied it to what I was doing. To say I could notice a difference immediately was an understatement. I went from having a "miserable" lower back to suddenly feeling back to normal all within in a minute of me applying what I had learnt from the Alexander Technique. It is times like these when I have successful events of applying this Alexander Technique thinking to either the mess I have caused myself or when I need a breakthrough about something that I am so glad I have learnt it.

(P.S. Don't forget, you can learn it too - www.UnlockYourMindAndBody.co.uk or email me at Barbara@UnlockYourMindAndBody.co.uk if you want to ask me any questions.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who links to me?