Unlock Your Mind and Body

Here is my online diary of all my Alexander Technique learnings and discoveries as a student and teacher. Learn the benefits of the Alexander Technique and the pitfalls to avoid when learning it yourself...

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sitting at the computer for hours...

Whilst I think the joys of the internet are great I am noticing a definite negative side effect of sitting in front of the computer for so long. Last year I had to get glasses since I was spending so much time in front of a screen. Now I am noticing that I am less comfortable spending so long in front of it again. Considering I am slouching over the keyboard, which I think is OK just so long as it isn't constant, I am starting to wonder about activities that you do for a long time.

If you end up doing something for an hour or two, it is going to take energy to do it. Whilst I think you can do it in the easiest way possible, it is still going to take some effort. I guess this is where picking the approach of least effort comes in. If you are going to do something for a extended period of time, design the way of doing it so it takes the minimum amount of effort. Anything else is hard work, and I'm all for not doing work unnecessarily! After that I guess comes using the minimum amount of effort to do that activity, then you will be able to do it longer for the same amount of effort!

I tried this with running last year. I could only run for about 10 mins and after I had a few Alexander Technique lessons at Summer School I realised that I didn't need to use so much effort and in the space of about a week I managed to get my running time up to about 35 minutes. And it wasn't possible to get me that fit, that quickly! I am going to think about that in relation to working on the computer and see what I can come up with!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who links to me?