Unlock Your Mind and Body

Here is my online diary of all my Alexander Technique learnings and discoveries as a student and teacher. Learn the benefits of the Alexander Technique and the pitfalls to avoid when learning it yourself...

Friday, March 10, 2006

What do I work on?

At the beginning of a lesson I usually ask a student what activity they want to work on. And normally, after some discussion the student decides what it is they want to work on and improve. Yesterday I was teaching a student and it was different. The student didn't have something they wanted to choose even with suggestions from items we had discussed before. I took the unusual step of actively choosing their activity and asking them to do it. This is very rare because a student has to be interested in what they were doing but I considered it was the best next step for the student to take.

The reason I'm writing about this is because there was a significant outcome. The student had never considered the simple activity I suggested (walking) to be one that they needed to work on or one that could be improved. But, by picking on the obvious, the result of the lesson was a whole new area for them to improve and work on came out as well as significant improvement in the performance of walking during the lesson. Sometimes, you do just have to work on the obvious as well as the difficult!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who links to me?