Unlock Your Mind and Body

Here is my online diary of all my Alexander Technique learnings and discoveries as a student and teacher. Learn the benefits of the Alexander Technique and the pitfalls to avoid when learning it yourself...

Friday, March 24, 2006

What is the cause of your problem?

Yesterday I was having lunch with colleagues at work. One of them started having cramp in her hand whilst using her fork. She said it was a regular occurrence for her. She stretched her fingers for a little bit and then carried on eating.

A little while ago I was working with another work colleague at a computer and he said he probably needed to visit a chiropractor. When I enquired why, he said that he had a problem with his back that needed looking at. So I asked him whether the problem he had was at a particular point that I pointed at, he was surprised and said yes it was.

Both these incidents have something in common. Both people had problems that were causing them discomfort. Both of them knew they had a problem that came up regularly, neither were aware why it was happening.

From my perspective both problems had immediate, observable causes that could be resolved if they stopped creating the problem. In the first case, how much effort does it take to hold a fork? If you use a lot of muscular effort to hold a fork, your hand is going to get tired very quickly and if held for long periods could, just as any muscles would, cause cramp. In the second example, it was also observable that the person I was talking to was moving in a way that pivoted around the point that was the problem. My back would hurt too if I did that to myself!

The key thing I am reminded about in both these cases is that there is a cause. Even if the cause isn't obvious to the person there still is one and the cause of the problem can be analysed and stopped (if it isn't caused by an injury or disease). This would result in someone being free of that problem. Sounds good to me!!

This gets interesting because this was the same as Alexander himself. He had a problem with losing his voice whilst reciting on stage and while in his case he had got help from his doctor it still didn't solve his problem. He made an important leap to realise that there was a cause of his problem and because his doctor couldn't tell him what it was he decided to find out what it was for himself.

This is great news for us, because of his hard work he worked out how to analyse the relationship between cause and effect within ourselves and how we could overcome it ourselves.

It would just take one question from these two people to open up the possibility of finding freedom from their problem. What do you think that question would be? (Answer in the next blog post!). Let me know what you think: barbara@unlockyourmindandbody.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who links to me?